Call for Michel-Rolph Trouillot Fund Applications (Sept. 15, 2023)
Appel HSA pour les demandes de bourses Michel-Rolph Trouillot (15 septembre 2023)
Apèl HSA pou aplikasyon pou bous Michel-Rolph Trouillot (15 septanm 2023)
The Emerging Scholars Committee of the Haitian Studies Association invites applications for the following 2023 award. Award recipients will be honored at the 35th Annual HSA Conference in Atlanta, Georgia from October 5-8, 2023.
The following applications are due by September 15, 2023 for emerging scholars, based in Haiti and internationally:
The Michel-Rolph Trouillot Fund was started in 2012 to broaden participation in the Haitian Studies Association among academics, researchers, artists, intellectuals, and professionals who are based in Haiti and who do not have the possibility of traveling to the conference without financial assistance.
Due to the current barriers to securing visas from the US Embassy, for 2023 the Michel-Rolph Trouillot award will temporarily prioritize Haitian scholars based in Haiti or studying abroad as international students who have a visa or are otherwise able to travel within or to the United States to participate in the conference.
Priority will be given to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Lack of other financial resources, which prevents them from participating in the HSA colloquium.
- Their main residence is currently in Haiti OR (2023) Haitian nationals studying abroad as international students
- Their work goes along with the theme of the HSA conference.
- They are attending the HSA conference for the first time.
- They are interested in a future participation with HSA.
- They submitted an individual or one-session proposal to the HSA.
1. Write a personal essay (500 words) that answers the following questions:
- Who are you? What are your institutional or organizational affiliations?
- How do you plan to participate in the conference? For example, as a member / participant of a session or roundtable? Or as an active member of the audience who has a particular interest in activities or topics discussed during the colloquium?
- How will the conference help you? If you are part of an organization, how will the conference facilitate the initiatives of that organization?
2. A 100-250-word biography
3. Complete and submit application form
Deadline is September 15, 2023, 11:59pm EST