The Emerging Scholars committee is dedicated to the development and support of new generations of scholars of Haiti and the Haitian diaspora. We coordinate mentorship events and advocate for the particular concerns of students and emerging scholars with the association. Each year we organize mentorship events as part of the annual conference, in addition to virtual mentoring and network events. The committee coordinates the Emerging Scholar and the Michel-Rolph Trouillot awards to support emerging scholars participation in the annual conference.
If you would like to volunteer to participate in Emerging Scholar events or to submit a comment or suggestion, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Emerging Scholars Roundtables:
- June 2022: Research in the Contemporary Moment
- August 2022: Thinking Creatively through COVID
- October 2022: In-person at 34th annual conference
- January 2023: Effective abstract writing
- Emerging Scholars Café Event (September 9th) with Dr. Felix Jean-Louis and Willie Mack, PhD candidate in History
- Emerging Scholars Café Event (October 14th) with Dr. Glodel Mezilas and Websder Corneille, degree in applied linguistics
HSA established the Student and Emerging Scholars’ fund during the 2006 conference. Two scholarships ($500 each) may be applied toward travel and accommodation expenses incurred for attending an HSA conference and/or presenting a specific research project concerning Haiti and/or the Haitian diaspora.
The Michel-Rolph Trouillot Fund was started in 2012 to expand participation in HSA among Haiti-based academic and public scholars, artists, and professionals who might not be able to attend the conference without financial assistance.
Search for scholars with shared interests through the membership directory.
2022 Emerging Scholar Committee:
- Irene Brisson, Chair
- Magalie Civil, Student representative
- Petrouchka Moise, Communications liaison / Member
- Dasha Chapman, Member
- Alex Lenoble, Member
- Nyya Toussaint, Member
- Cécile Accilien, Senior advisory member