Call for Emerging Scholar Award Applications (Sept. 15, 2023)
Appel HSA pour les demandes de bourses de chercheurs émergents (15 septembre 2023)
Apèl HSA pou aplikasyon pou bous chèchè emèjan (15 septanm 2023)
The Emerging Scholars Committee of the Haitian Studies Association invites applications for the following 2023 award. Award recipients will be honored at the 35th Annual HSA Conference in Atlanta, Georgia from October 5-8, 2023.
The following applications are due by September 15, 2023 for emerging scholars, based in Haiti and internationally:
HSA established the Student and Emerging Scholars’ fund during the 2006 conference. Since 2008, the HSA board has earmarked $1000 annually to support student research and participation in our annual conference.
Two scholarships ($500 each) may be applied toward travel and accommodation expenses incurred for attending an HSA conference and/or presenting a specific research project concerning Haiti and/or the Haitian diaspora.
Deadline to apply is September 15, 2023, 11:59pm EST
The award is intended to encourage undergraduate and graduate students to attend HSA’s annual conference and present their research.
- Full-time student
- Minimum GPA of 3.5 (or equivalent, for example B, 87.5/100)
- Demonstrate proof of past or current research on subjects related to Haiti and/or the Haitian diaspora
- A copy of the abstract of the proposal submitted for the upcoming HSA conference
- A brief essay (500 words) describing your commitment to pursuing Haitian Studies
- A 100-250-word biography
- Contact information for one (1) Haitian studies scholar who can serve as a mentor for the student. (name, title, email)
- Contact information for one (1) scholar familiar with the applicant’s work who will serve as a reference. (name, title, email)
- Unofficial transcript
Students awarded with this scholarship will be asked to submit a copy of their final conference papers to HSA by the final day of the conference at the following address: EmergingScholars@haitianstudies.org