2023 Call for Nominations for the H.S.A. Board (Dec. 1, 2023)
- One (1) Graduate Student Representative
- Two (2) Board Members at large
- One (1) Vice-President
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The members of the Board of Directors of the Haitian Studies Association are elected by the general membership by electronic balloting and serve a three-year term. Board members can be re-elected for additional terms. The Board is composed of elected and advisory members, as well as a student representative, who, in turn, elect the Secretary and Treasurer. The officers of the Board of Directors are the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. The Advisory Board is composed of the current Executive Director, the immediate Past President, and the Editor of the Journal of Haitian Studies (JOHS). Collectively, these members are the governing body of the Haitian Studies Association.
The Vice President, elected by the membership, shall serve in that capacity for a term of one-year. Upon completion of his/her/their term, she/he/they shall become the President. The membership of the Association shall elect a new Vice President every year, by email ballot, according to the procedures prescribed in the By-Laws. The Vice-President assists the President in the functioning and management of the organization and serves as Program Chair for the annual conference.
- The President shall serve a one-year term following the annual conference. The President is HSA’s Chief Executive Officer and provides leadership and direction for HSA. The President is the official spokesperson for the organization and HSA’s representative with other institutions, groups or individuals. The President shall serve as Chairperson of the Board of Directors. The President shall convene and preside over Board meetings and the annual business meeting. The President, with the advice and consent of the majority of the Board members, shall appoint such committees as specified in the By-Laws. The President also appoints any Task Force Committee deemed necessary to carry out HSA’s mission and goals. At the end of his/her term, the President along with the Executive Director shall submit a final report to the Board of Directors on the conference and activities of HSA.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF BOARD MEMBERS
Each Board member is expected
- To be knowledgeable about and support the organization’s mission, services, policies, and programs
- Support the Board in carrying out its fiduciary responsibilities
- Attend all board and committee meetings and functions, which consist of the Annual Conference held either in October or November, as well as the Annual Spring Board Meeting (the location of both meetings varying in accordance with the location of the conference). In addition Board Members are required to attend monthly zoom meetings and additional committee meetings as necessary according to the work to be done
- Serve on standing and ad hoc committees or task forces, and offer to take on special assignments
- Recruit new members and inform scholars, students and other professionals about the Association
- Seek candidates (for election to the Board) who can make significant contributions to the work of the Board and the Association
- Keep up-to-date on major developments in Haitian Studies
- Serve the full length of the three-year term
- Active participation is required to remain a member of the board in good standing. Lack of participation and regular attendance may lead to removal.
Each nominee for Board membership
- must have been a member of HSA for three of the last five years
- must have attended two out of the last five Haitian Studies Association Conferences
- must be enrolled in an accredited full-time program to be a student representative
Any member of the Haitian Studies Association may enter a nomination. Self-nominations are welcomed. Board members may be nominated to run for election again.
Nomination materials should include:
- A brief statement (400 words maximum) describing expertise, experience, and interest in Haitian Studies
- A recent CV
- A short biography (150 words maximum)
- And one (1) photo.
The deadline for nominations is December 1, 2023.
Electronic ballots will be made available from December 4, 2023 to December 18, 2023.
The newly elected Board Members will be announced on December 22, 2023 and the new Board Members’ terms will be effective January 1, 2024.
To enter a nomination or self-nomination, please complete the form here.