The Forgotten Occupation- Online Screening and Q&A (July 29, 2023)
The Forgotten Occupation is an award-winning 2023 documentary from filmmaker Alain Martin, exploring the history of the first US Occupation of Haiti (1915-1934). The film includes appearances by scholars including Yveline Alexis, Georges Eddy Lucien and Edwidge Danticat.
The event was moderated by Alyssa Sepinwall and included a post-screening Q&A with Alain Martin and Yveline Alexis, author of the 2021 HSA Book Prize winner Haiti Fights Back.
Post Screening Q&A Session
During the Q&A discussion, additional relevant resources were mentioned, both during the conversation and in the chat. We are adding them here for anyone interested in learning more.
- The Forgotten Occupation (Film’s Website). Contact information of director Alain Martin (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in a screening.
- All of Drs. Roger Gaillard’s work on the US invasion of Ayiti; Suzy Castor; Brenda Gayle Plummer; Hans Schmidt; Mary Renda; Chantalle Verna, Millery Polyné, Matthew J. Smith, Yveline Alexis, and Grace Sanders Johnson’s new work on Haitian feminism during the US invasion and beyond.
- Shelby Sinclair’s brilliant dissertation on women and the U.S. occupation of Haiti
- The Unexceptional Case of Haiti: Race and Class Privilege in Postcolonial Bourgeois Society by Philippe-Richard Marius
- J. Michael Dash’s Haiti and the United States: National Stereotypes and the Literary Imagination
- Kasandra Balsis, MA Thesis, CSUSM, Bringing Democracy to Haiti? How White and Black American Newspapers Reacted to the U.S. Occupation of Haiti between 1915 and 1920, https://scholarworks.calstate.edu/concern/theses/cj82kf359?locale=en
- Radio Haiti Archive including Roger Gaillard interviews: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/radiohaiti
- Mapping project at Duke showing environmental impacts of the Occupation: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=de268c688b8142fbb689fb52826fa818
- Info on the Haiti International Film Festival in Los Angeles where this film will screen again (information about virtual screening tickets will be added later): https://filmfreeway.com/HaitiInternationalFilmFestival/tickets
- Nadève Ménard on Occupation literature: http://islandluminous.fiu.edu/part08-slide11.html; more links on the Occupation from here: http://islandluminous.fiu.edu/learn.html (click on the Roosevelt caricature at the bottom)
- Yveline Alexis, Haiti Fights Back: The Life and Legacy of Charlemagne Péralte (winner of the 2021 Haitian Studies Association Book Prize)
- Alyssa Sepinwall, Slave Revolt on Screen: The Haitian Revolution in Film and Video Games (Honorable Mention for the 2021 Haitian Studies Association Book Prize)
- Cécile Accilien, Bay Lodyans: Haitian Popular Film Culture (coming out in August in HB and paperback next year! https://sunypress.edu/Books/B/Bay-Lodyans)
Additionally, The Haitian Studies Association mentioned some of the resources that may be of interest: