2021 Nominations for the H.S.A. Board (Student Representative)
New Board Members (2020): Mamyrah Dougé-Prosper, Ayanna Legros, Petrouchka Moïse
- One (1) Student Representative (with a seat on the Board), for a (2) two-year term, from January 2022 to December 2023.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Board of Directors (“the Board”) shall administer the affairs of Haitian Studies Association (HSA). The terms of the elected members shall be for three years. Contingent on the number of vacated positions, new members shall be elected every year electronically or by paper ballot at the annual meeting as prescribed in the By-Laws. The Board shall carry out HSA’s mission, purposes and goals, and promote its professional interests. The Board must also ensure that ties are maintained with Haitian academic institutions. The Board shall oversee the business of the HSA, manage its properties, receive gifts, grants, and donations; approve and implement annual budgets, and take all the necessary actions in the interest of HSA.
There shall be a designated student member. The student representative will serve from January 2022 to December 2023 and will complete the three-year term of the previous student member who was only able to serve one year. The nominee must have attended two out of the last five Haitian Studies Association Conferences and be a member in good standing and must demonstrate a potential for making contributions to the field of Haitian Studies. In the event that the student member is no longer a student, they will continue to serve as a board member until the next scheduled election. The student representative will receive an established and set stipend to attend the HSA annual meeting.
The Student Representative is a member of The Emerging Scholars Committee, which provides directions to the Board on all matters that pertain to the scholarship and development of undergraduate and graduate students and all other scholars who have recently completed graduate degrees and/or at the beginning of their careers. The committee also oversees the annual Emerging Scholars events and research and travel awards. The Student Representative may chair the Emerging Scholars Committee.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF BOARD MEMBERS
Each Board member is expected
- To be knowledgeable about and support the HSA’s mission, services, policies, and programs.
- Support the Board in carrying out its fiduciary responsibilities.
- Attend all board and committee meetings and functions, which consist of the Annual Conference held either in October or November, as well as the Annual Board Retreat held every April (the location of both meetings varying in accordance with the location of the conference), and in addition periodical – usually monthly – zoom conference calls, variable according to work to be done.
- Serve on standing and ad hoc committees or task forces, and offer to take on special assignments.
- Recruit members to and inform scholars about HSA.
- Seek candidates (for election to the Board) who can make significant contributions to the work of the Board and HSA.
- Keep up-to-date on major developments in Haitian Studies.
- Serve the full length of the three-year term (2 years in this case as it is a special election).
- Active participation is required to remain a member of the Board (no participation may lead to removal).
Each nominee for Student Representative on the Board
- must have been a member of HSA for two of the last five years
- must have attended two out of the last five Haitian Studies Association Conferences
- must be enrolled in an accredited full-time program to be a student representative
All members of the Haitian Studies Association may enter a nomination. Self-nominations are welcomed. Current Board members may be nominated to run for election again.
Nomination materials should include a brief statement (400 words maximum) describing expertise, experience, and interest in Haitian Studies, and a recent CV and a photo. The deadline for nominations is 30 November 2021, 11:59 pm EST. Voting will take place by electronic ballot from December 3 to 10, 2021. The newly elected student representative will be announced on December 11, 2021. The (2) two-year term begins in January 2022 and ends in December 2023.
To enter a nomination or self-nomination, please complete the form here.